Monday, June 8, 2009

Quilting

This year I have been sewing quilt tops for fun. It gets my creative juices going. I was asked by the Humanitarian Project Leader to sew a twin size quilt. She brought over a box of miscellaneous fabric and let me create something to tie for the Relief Society. This is what I came up with...a 25 patch quilt. It is an old pattern that is easy to tie. I worked with what I was given and find that I liked doing it. It is my fifth quilt that I have done this year. This is a picture of the top.

Kristen and I started out making a quilt before she left for BYU-I. She found her favorite fabrics and we put them together in a Christmas quilt. I had the pattern lying around for about a year and thought it would be a fun project to make with her. When she started cutting fabric, I was amazed at some of the combinations she came up with and I really think that the quilt turned out nice. I had it quilted by my friend Diane Richardson who has a Gammel Quilting Machine in her basement. (If you don't know what a Gammel is it is a very large computerized sewing machine attached to a frame that a quilter like Diane can be creative with.) She quilted Christmas trees around the edges and Holly on one of the borders. I really liked what she did and was excited to give her another one to quilt.
For the next quilt I had this Debbie Mum quilting pattern that I had wanted to try out. It was a yellow, green, purple, and pink lap sized quilt with geometric designs on it. Some of the blocks were interesting because each block was different. I loved the end result and gave the quilt to Janilee for her wedding shower. She said that she absolutely loves it. She was teasing Jonathan that she was going to decorate their bedroom to match the quilt. :) Sorry, I don't have a picture of it.

In February I asked my friend Louise Brandley to take a quilting class with me. We made Amish quilts together. Louise had never made a quilt before and this was a beginners class so we had a lot of fun putting our quilts together and shopping for fabric. I did a classical Amish design and Louise made a beautiful quilt out of batik fabrics. Her quilt turned out beautiful and mine was very eye catching as you can see. Diane did some beautiful Amish Quilt designs on this quilt that I just loved. Louise also had Diane quilt her quilt which was a very different design than mine although we both used the same block pattern. Louise was excited about Diane's quilting designs too. Louise is off making another quilt, this time she is doing a rag quilt for her daughter to take to college with her. She picked out some pink and cream flannel fabric and I helped her design her quilt. It is blocks with hearts appliqued onto them that are 'ragged'. I can't wait to see the end result.

I love this store in American Fork called The Quilting Cottage. When I was there last year I found a "Buggy Barn" quilt that I loved and bought some fabric. I finally finished it last month and took it to Diane to quilt for me. This quilt is a variation of Flying Geese with stars in light and dark patterns. I loved the design and colors that are in it. When it gets back from my quilting friend I will post the picture.

2 comments:

Maurine Lee said...

Nice quilts. You did a good job. I like the one you made that is on Jon and Janalee's spare bed.

Cherie said...

Wow Mom! I didn't realize you had made so many cool quilts this year. You amaze me! You are always pushing yourself to do new things and try your creative juices. Good job!!! I love the Christmas one. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the flower one you gave me too. It's definitely going to be going on Lily's bed when she gets a little older.