Hi, I'm in Rome. It's really hot here, but I'm a missionary, so I just deal with it! Fans are an invention from the gods. Just kidding, that's blasphemy.
Wow, so this has been a crazy week. As I always say, it feels like nothing has happened, and yet so much has happened! The craziest thing is last P-day. After I wrote my email, my district went together to villa Borghese to have a picnic and play sports and "fare amicizia" (make frienships). It was all fun and relaxing, until a water fight broke out and my companion fell hard on her front. She was in a loooot of pain, so the next morning we called the mission president, and we were given permission to go to the hospital for sorella Barbiere to get an xray to see if her ribs were broken. So we sat in the emergency room for 6 hours, and I made friends with a 5 year old from Romania who had fallen off her bike and had a black eye and needed stitches (I read her a story from the friend and I gave her a picture of Jesus to color). A lot of other things happened, but 6 hours later we found out my companion was fine...the doctors just told her to stay in bed all week.
But we're missionaries, so we immediately went to an to the church afterwards for a surprise party for the portier for our building. His name is Marco Antonio, and he is a less active member. I don't think he's been to church for 3 or 5 years, even though he lives two minutes away. Probably one of the sadder stories of my mission. We talk to him about every day, and we always talk about the church and missionary work. He would be the most incredible missionary ward leader ever...if he would come back to church. I can't even begin to count how many missionaries he knows...he makes friends with all of them in my ward. He served an incredible mission in Peru too. It's really sad how pride can keep you from doing the right thing.
In other news, Marcelo is doing well. The things that go on between him and his ex wife are hillarious and yet heart breaking at the same time. Hillarious, in the sense that they're so outrageous. But they're really changing. Marcelo is always reading the scriptures, and his answer during sunday school for everything is "read the scriptures."
Teacher: "How can we as leaders in the church strengthen the members?"
Marcelo: "Read the scriptures!"
Teacher: "yes...." Haha. He's so great.
Yesterday we taught the law of chastity and repentance. This is the one thing that we were worried about teaching him...because we had to be crystal clear as to what the law of chastity is. But he understood very well, and he understands the things he needs to do. It seems that every time a concern comes up with Marcelo, he always addresses and overcomes our fears during the lessons. We also changed his baptism to July 4th, which he reminded me is independence day. I completely forgot! Maybe i'll bring an american flag to his baptism. jokiing.
Yesterday we taught the law of chastity and repentance. This is the one thing that we were worried about teaching him...because we had to be crystal clear as to what the law of chastity is. But he understood very well, and he understands the things he needs to do. It seems that every time a concern comes up with Marcelo, he always addresses and overcomes our fears during the lessons. We also changed his baptism to July 4th, which he reminded me is independence day. I completely forgot! Maybe i'll bring an american flag to his baptism. jokiing
I had a great experience this last Sunday while we were doing gesso (chalk) in Piazza del Popolo. We had just laid out the bedsheet to start drawing, and these two Africans walked up and saw the Book of Mormon sitting on the blanket. So I started talking to them, and we talked for an hour and a half about all of the first 3 lessons...the Restoration, Plan of Salvation, and the Gospel. One spoke English, and one spoke Italian, so it was a very interesting experience. They both took Books of Mormon, and left their phone number, and we're really interested in seeing a baptism. We'll see what happens
One last funny experience before I run for Cherie, Kristen, Jessica and Krissa... we had an appointment with Tamara, one of our investigators, and she shows up with the BODY FLEX book and starts teaching us the exercises. I have never used so much self control for two hours to not laugh. For those of you who don't know what it is, look it up on youtube.This gospel is true! It's growing in Italy. Faith brings miracle, and the hope for salvation.
I'm so grateful for my Savior, and the ability to love and overcome. I love you all, and hope you are all doing well. I'm so grateful to have been raised in a gospel centered home, by incredible parents. I'm grateful for my testimony, for repentance, and for the spirit to guide me.
Sempre avanti!
Vi voglio bene!baci!
Jenessa
At a lunch appointment, Marcelo and Rosita and Diana started dancing to their South American music. It was adorable.
Marco Antonio at his surprise party. He doesn't like surprise parties.
No comments:
Post a Comment