Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ciao Waoui!











Ciao Waoui!
I learned today from the cutest lady how people in Nap-town say Ragazzi...it sounds like
"wai-you." It is the mother of one of our investigators, and she was telling
us a joke about a guy from napoli took a big drum of urine into the facility for it to be
tested. The lady there freaked out and say, "that is way overdone! You only needed
to do a little bit!" So the guy went away and they did the tests, and when he came
back the lady gave him his test results, and so he ran to all his friends and yelled,
"waoui! Tutto è buono!" (all is good!) hahahahaha. Sorry to start of this internet with a silly story, just thought I would grab your attention!

This has been a crazy last week. We had feragosto going on, where the entire country
goes on vacation and no one wanted to take appointments with us! On the last day, the
15th, we have festa di lavoro, and we had to stay home and clean our apartment ALL DAY.
We went all out, and we worked from 6:30 when we woke up, until about 9:30 at night, with
a few breaks for studies and lunch. Wow, I was sore! Our apartment was so gross, but
now it's so clean. We found a lot of these nasty things that we call our "silver
friends" and I think that they're silverfish? I don't know what they do though.
Could you explain them to me mom? I also opened the cabinet and found little bugs all
over our food! MAMMA MIA missionaries are so gross sometimes!!! hahaha
We've been working with an investigator named Lillian, who out of the blue gave us her
phone number and said she wanted to talk to us. She's been having some really big
problems in her life, and she has started reaching out to us, whereas before she was too
busy for us. She's making really great progress, and her son told her that he wants her
to join her church so that she will stop drinking and smoking and be happy. She knows
she needs to make a huge change in her life to be happy! And we're here to help her
through it. The gospel can truly change her life and the life of her family as she
accepts it more and more. We're going to start the stop smoking program with her this
week...let's hope it goes well!

We also have a new investigator named Boni from Sri Lanka. He reminded me of Harold, and
I felt like I needed to talk to him...he accepted a Book of Mormon in Sinhala, and wants
to meet with us to talk more about the church. His story is so interesting. I'll keep
you all updated.
This pday has been pretty awesome. We came out to a place called Popoli and we climbed
up to an abandoned castle with an investigator named Sofia and the Anziani from our
district. We didn't know it was a hike, so my poor companion was doing it in sandals!
Luckily I was wearing my church shoes? haha Then we went to her house for lunch and her
adorable mom (who told us the urine story) made us lunch. It would have been soooo
good...if I liked seafood! The anti pasto was smoked salmon, and then she made pasta
with these FATTY eels with these HUGE heads, and then a calamari soup with tentacles in
it! It was all super gourmet, and pretty good for fish. I tried to eat it, but I just
couldn't eat the tentacles. Then this afternoon we went to a fortress and to this
beautiful little city called Sulmona where they make these really cool flowers out of
candy, that are a specialty of this region. I've been discovering the specialites of the
area this week, like these things called "arosticini" which are pretty much
castrated lamb on a stick. (like kabobs). Everyone here is obesessed! They also do this
really cool art here where they do paintings on ceramics.

So, another funny story... my companion and I are putting together an activity at the
church for this friday where we're going to watch the testaments and eat some food, so at
the bottom we were talking it up and saying that we would watch the movie on the big
screen, and then we wrote that "rinfrescamenti" would be provided. So after
announcing it in church, we handed out all the fliers. Right as we were leaving a member
walks up to us and says, "do you realize that rinfrescamenti means "a dip in
the sea?" Refreshments is "rinfreschi!" So apparently we invited everyone
to a movie night...and a dip in the sea will be provided. I just hope no one shows up in
their bathing suits.

Okay, i've gotta run even though i've got a lot to say! One last thing, if any of you
send me cards or letters, make sure that they aren't super thick, and if they are put a
fatty jesus sticker on it or something. Whenever I get fat letters, they open them here
by steaming them or something to see if there's anything that they can steal. So make
sure never to send me money or anything super expensive!
I love you all so so so so much! Baci!

I attached some views of Pescara, and then some pictures of the castles and stuff we
visited today.

Jenessa

No comments: