Wednesday, September 2, 2009

GARDEN PARTY

We hosted a GARDEN PARTY on Saturday for Jonathan and Janilee in honor of their marriage. Jonathan calls it a BARBEQUE because it is more masculine but it was really a GARDEN PARTY. The men did the BARBEQUE and the women did the GARDEN PARTY. It was a good mix and turned out to be a success.

It took all day for us to get ready for the party and we spent the whole previous week making and getting decorations, food, and assignments. I had so many people offer to help that I was overwhelmed. Friends made cornbread, cupcakes and helped with the decorations. It was really a fun activity for me and Kristen. Bryce was my main help on Saturday when he made salads and helped set up. He is going to be a great addition to our family.
Kristen, Joslyn, and I made and decorated a cake for Jonathan and Janilee. Kristen had the idea of doing a fondant top and when she put the whole thing on, it just didn't look right. So Joslyn came to the rescue and cut the fondant so it was just on the top of the cake. She put the initials on and then they asked me to do the piping around the cake. It was a beautiful cake in the end and had layers of yellow and chocolate.

The lanterns we got at our favorite store Home Goods. Kristen and I went wild in the store because we found so many treasures. In the end we had to cut our enthusiasm down and find things that would be relevant to a GARDEN PARTY. We bought a well bucket that I put a hydrangia in, some lanterns and candles. The candles were wax but ran by battery. They were scented also with citronella to keep the bugs away. Janilee put ribbon around the tops and set up the candy bar with different pink candies in jars that people could take as favors. What a good idea!
Kristen and I made cupcake towers. We got the idea from the Martha Stewart website and printed off the templates. Kristen learned how to make circular boxes from her book making class and made the towers from foam board that we got at Michaels. Friends made and brought different types of cupcakes. We had carrot cake, chocolate fudge, cherry chip, lemon, and apple. Then I took the leftovers to the Back to Seminary night.

Jonathan set up a television with a video of he and Janilee that they played at the wedding venue in Utah. I am sitting enjoying watching the video here.

The night was a success. We enjoyed visiting with family and friends and Jonathan and Janilee were happy with the result.

1 comment:

Cherie said...

Oh gosh! I wish I could have been there. You did a WONDERFUL job decorating. I loved the lanterns and the cupcake towers. I wish you had gotten a picture of the candy bar. It was such a cute idea. Thank you for putting these pictures online, I was hoping somebody would!