Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mi manca la mia carissima famiglia!!

Jenessa's newest letter....

Oh my dearest family,

Yet another week has passed!! Probably the longest of my entire mission, but it has been full of wonderful ups and downs. I love the downs because they give more punch to the ups! I was reading a talk by elder..oh I don't remember who it was, but he said that any missionary who is completely 100% on cloud nine probably has something messed up with their head. That made me laugh, but it is so true! Adam and Eve didn't fall so we could not feel anything, adam fell that men might be, and men ARE that they might have JOY!okay, so let me start off where I left off last week on Pday. For my first real p day here we went to the Hard Rock in rome with all the missionaries in my district (it's huge, we have 3 pairs of elders and two pairs of sisters) and 3 sets of zone leaders. It was probably the most ridiculously expensive menu I have ever seen! I split something with a sister though to cut costs (I learned from my last trip to europe, buying food at restaurants will kill your budget!) Afterwards we all went across the street to the bone church...one of the creepiest things that I have ever seen! There were 5 or 6 rooms solely decorated with the bones of 4000 monks. Yep, disgusting!

The next day at english class (yep, we teach english at the church weekly, I don't know if I said that in my last email, but bear with me if i'm repetitive!) there was a lady named Tamara who started asking the teacher manny (a convert from new york) about the church. She was really confused, so we offered to teach her the lessons. Yay! New investigator!Friday, the big event was Gesso in Piazza del Popolo (gesso means chalk) where we drew on a big bed sheet il Piano di Salvezza (the plan of salvation). It was the best finding activity ever! People are DRAWN to the plan of salvation. We gave away more phamplets and BOMs in a few hours than I have almost my entire time here! We had some great experiences meeting people, but I don't have time to write them.Saturday we had a lesson with our investigator Erica. We were so excited last week, because she said she was going to FINALLY come to church! But then we came, and something came up with the old lady she works for, that always keeps her from coming. We were heartbroken, but we told her we would fast and pray for her to find a way. She really just needs a new job.

That night we went and saw Rosita and Nadia...two people in Italy who have completely captured my heart. Nadia is the adorable lady with alzheimers that I sang with last week who was an opera singer. She sat in on our lesson, and she loved the verses we were reading in the book of mormon, and she made the sweetest comments. She was so excited when we told her that she has her own Book of Mormon. She asked about 10 times when she was supposed to read it, and we told her whenever she wants to (she doesn't have a short term memory). I love her so much, and just hope she remembers to read!

That night we did gesso again in Piazza del popolo, and this time with dispensations. It wasn't as sucessful as the plan of salvation, but it still went pretty well! I made friends with a bunch of toddlers who wanted to draw with me. I couldn't get rid of them they loved it so much! (reminder...this is a great finding activity for families!)Sunday was crazy as usual, except I actually understood what was going on during relief society. It was really nice. During sacrament meeting Angelo came to church again. I almost had a heart attack moment when one of the more interesting older ladies in the ward got up and started yelling about how the catholic church isn't true, and something about a miracle with getting to the temple in 200 fiery cars. All you can do is laugh. But the great news was, is that angelo read every day in the Book of Mormon! yay!! Progress!

Monday was kind of beyond crazy. We were about to walk into the park when the plumber called and we had to RUN home to meet him. (Our water heater has been broken for a week...i've been taking showers with boiled water and pots and pans! I know this sounds crazy, but I actually had fun. I kept thinking "this is probably what Kent did everyday on his mission!" except i'm not sure if he even had a stove. That would suck). He wasn't able to fix it right then, so we went to meet Angelo and go with him to the Bishop's for FHE. When we showed up at the bus stop, he had a little surprise waiting for us....ROSES. One for each of us! haha, then he started stroking Sorella Barbiere's face. She took a deep breath, but the fiery italian in her broke out when he started making excuses about not wanting to go to the bishop's.

So we had to cancel, and now we must pass him off to the elders. haha...all you can do is laugh! So we called Tamara and she came to the church to watch the restoration video. She showed up and pulled out her English homework.......I think I realized two things that day about how who we are as missionaries might confuse people. Young ladies, and english teachers. Bah! But now that I know, i'm going to be much much more careful.

Yesterday was Zone Conference, which was incredible, and exactly what I needed after monday! I saw my old MTC comp Sorella Dalia, and I just missed her with all my heart. I felt like I had left my sister! It was great to talk to her and hear she's going through a lot of the same things. That night we had a little surprise. A lady called us, and asked to meet us at the train station. So we went, and found out that she is a member, who had lost her job and home, and didn't have a place to stay. We tried to take care of her the best we could, but all she wanted was us to take her suitcases so they wouldn't be stolen. It was sad, and the whole thing broke my heart. We spent a few hours with her and bought her dinner. I just hope she's okay.So I must end yet another long email! I love you all, and hope you are well.

This world is beautiful, and the gospel is true. Faith can make miracles happen, I see them every day. The mission is probably one of the hardest things i've ever done, but it's because we put every piece of our hearts on the table for these people. I realized that my original intentions of coming on a mission to learn more about the gospel, and just give up my life for God are not the reasons any more. Every person here that touches my heart makes me realize I'm here for them, and the help God have his children come back to him. The gospel is true! Study the Book of Mormon every day. It will change your life. Keep me in your prayers. you're all in mine!

Love,

Sorella Jenessa Miles

No comments: